- Yesterday, IU signed Tijan Jobe, a 7-footer from Olney Central Junior College. Per the Hoosier Scoop and other sources, Jobe is a project. He has been in the United States for only four years (it's unclear to me from the brief reports whether he played basketball before coming to the US) and averaged only 3 points and 3 rebounds per game. As a 7-footer in junior college.
- Also per Chris Korman of Hoosier Scoop, 6-10 Maurice Sutton, perhaps the best 2008 player still on the board, is expected to announce today whether he will attend IU, Villanova, or Seton Hall.
- Emmanuel Negedu, a 6-6 power forward who played AAU ball for Bloomington-based Indiana Elite, has been released by Arizona. Lute Olson expects Negedu to land at either IU or Memphis (the latter being the current home of the assistant who recruited Negedu to Arizona).
- Via Inside the Hall, Broderick Lewis of Lafayette Jeff will join the Hoosiers as a preferred walk-on. He averaged about nine points a game for an excellent team as a senior. Lewis apparently was considering Division II and junior college offers.
It's still not likely that the 2008-09 Hoosiers will be any good, but Crean has done a nice job rebuilding without making any obvious sacrifices in quality (I'm giving Jobe the benefit of the doubt--he's a raw 7 footer, which is almost always worth the risk given IU's situation). Assuming no further attrition, IU will have nine scholarship players, including six newcomers, four of whom were recruited by Crean. IU could add Sutton, Negedu, or both.
- Jordan Hulls of Bloomington South, a point guard who apparently has enhanced his reputation during the AAU season, committed to IU yesterday (once again courtesy the Hoosier Scoop). Hulls had been offered by Purdue and apparently was hoping to be offered by Duke and/or Stanford, but decided to make the move now.
So, the future IU roster is ever-changing. Here's the update, which, again could change in the near future:
Returning scholarship players: Jordan Crawford (Soph.), Brandon McGee (Soph.), and former invited walkon Kyle Taber (Sr.).
Incoming scholarship players who will be eligible in 2008-09: Tom Pritchard (F/C from Ohio, freshman); Matt Roth (G from Illinois, freshman); Devan Dumes (guard from Decatur Central/Eastern Michigan/Vincennes, junior); Nick Williams (guard from Alabama, former Marquette recruit); Verdell Jones (Illinois); Tijan Jobe (center from Olney Central JC, junior).
Returning walk-ons: Brett Finkelmeier (sophomore guard).
Incoming walk-ons: Daniel Moore (guard from Carmel); Kory Barnett (guard from Rochester); Broderick Lewis (guard from Lafayette Jefferson)
Incoming freshmen, 2009-10: Derek Elston (forward, Tipton); Bobby Capobianco (forward, Ohio); Maurice Creek (guard, Connecticut); Jordan Hulls (guard, Bloomington South).